Saturday, October 30, 2010

So Maybe I'm Not the Sharpest Crayon in the Box.

I have been telling anyone who asks for the last month that "no, I will not be dressing up this year for Halloween. I don't have hours to put into a costume that I'll wear for maybe 45 minutes" (i.e. I don't last very long at parties).  Yesterday at work when anyone asked me what I was doing for Halloween, "writing a fifteen- page paper" is what they got (by the way, that kind of comment depresses festive conversations real fast).
But then suddenly after work I felt this CRAZY inclination to go to a Halloween party last night. I did not want to attend uncostumed, BUT THEN I HAD A BRILLIANT IDEA!!! 

I still have a lovely assortment of Vaca High shirts and a mess of orange and black hair ribbons that I used to wear on Fridays, and I maybe still also have black and orange nail polish from game days.  Ta-Da!! Costume = high school student going to a football game.

Creative? Absolutely not. Easy and free?  Yes, and infinitely more important. Plus, the back of my Vaca High t-shirt says, "bow wow wow" and who doesn't want to wear that whenever possible?

So my neighbor Tyson (who showed up dressed as a farmer but after seeing him for 3 milliseconds I said, "You look like MARIO!!!"  You know, from Nintendo, so I crafted him a Mario symbol to put on his hat and everyone totally loved it, so good idea, me) came over and was watching me try to put "VHS" in black nail polish on my face whilst both of us were looking in the mirror. Somehow, strangely enough, it did not occur to either of us that applying letters using a mirror might not turn out so well. So after finishing it and declaring perfection, I turned to Tyson and said, "IT'S ADORABLE!!" And he said, "Um, I have bad news for you...It's backwards." And so it was.

I am an idiot.

Also, putting acetone on your face burns sorta bad. I don't recommend it.

8 comments:

Megs said...

I am thoroughly entertained by your idiocy!

Yolanda Taylor said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... I completely miss you!

David and Melanie said...

haha! I can't stop laughing. too great! and sadly its a mistake too many of us have made ;)

Mama Thompson said...

I thought you were too smart for that:)

my name is amy said...

mackenzie!! one word: EYELINER.

See Mack Snow said...

amy!! three words: i've tried it!

eyeliner apparently gets absorbed by my pores. Because I tried that many a time back in my teaching days, and it'd be all well and good, and then suddenly I'd look in the mirror, and the cute little paw would be gone, only to be replaced by little really black pores.

L said...

I was totally going to make the eyeliner comment, because I remembered my name is amy's costume from last year. But she beat me to it, which is only as it should be. Ooh, but the pore problem, that's tragic. I helped at a little kids' face painting booth once (a bad idea--me and artistic things don't mix), and they had us paint on the kids' faces with acrylic paint. I don't recommend that, either.

Tina said...

SOunds like something I'd do!