Friday, November 19, 2010

It Should Not Matter that I've had these Sheets for Five Years.

It appears as though I do things in my sleep that I am unaware of.

My sleeping habits have long been the brunt of many jokes. Apparently it is not common to sleep on your back with your hands crossed on your stomach, legs straight, and your head tilted slightly to the left. Always. Without fail. No exceptions.

I suppose the teasing may have been in conjunction with other slightly abnormal behavior. Such as:

1. When I was little, I slept like Wednesday Addams, with my hands crossed over my chest. After I saw the Addams Family it started to seem sort of gruesome.

2. It's super duper easy for me to get up in the morning. I have never - no joke - used a snooze button in my entire life. Ever. My freshman year of college, my Horne 58 roommates teased me for popping out of bed right when my alarm went off (in contrast to the time when Kristina took an evening nap while studying and hit the snooze button from about 11:00 to 2:30 in the morning. That kind of behavior baffles me. Why set an alarm for a certain time if you don't actually plan on getting up??).

3. Basement Kelli, my roommie for two years, used to tell me that when I was napping, my feet would vigorously twitch back and forth "like I was conducting an orchestra." 

I should point out here that I've had my mattress for manymany years, so there's a dip where my feet go. Even if I try to move them over to the side or something, they kind of just fall back into the hole...add that to me not moving much when I sleep, and ta-dah!! my feet are always in the exact same spot.

Well, apparently this is a problem, because this morning I woke up with grandiose plans to wash my sheets. So I pulled off the quilt and the top sheet, and TO MY HORROR, there was a MASSIVE HOLE worn through the bottom sheet...right where my feet go.

"HOLY CRAP!!!" I said. Clearly this hole had been there for some time (yes, I wash my sheets. I just didn't see it thinning, I guess). And, folks, this was not a tear - the threads were actually worn down and pulled apart. Apparently this is why people buy high thread-count sheets.

Problem is, I don't want to buy new sheets right now, so when I made my bed, I just turned the sheet around and put the hole underneath my pillow.   Magic!

7 comments:

Lindsey T said...

Bwahaha! I seem to remember also having a conversation about how you did't wash your sheets often because you showered at night, so your sheets weren't getting dirty as fast. Ah, good times! I'm sorry about the sheets though, that's a bummer!

David and Melanie said...

haha! you are too funny! this doesn't happen to me because instead of wearing a hole I tend to kill the elastic at the edges because i squirm so much in my sleep it pulls the sheets off the bed. and I love that you put the hole at your head, too funny! miss you!

dkkemp said...

Oh my gosh! your feet would actually create their very own breeze! hahahaha! Ahhhhh.....i miss those days.....:)

Mama Thompson said...

Dear Santa,
Please bring Mackenzie some new sheets....
better yet...Aunt Stephannie...are you really going to let her sleep on those?

Unguren said...

I would just like you to know that you are not alone. Mine and Blake's sheets did the same thing. Then one night while I was pregnant I sat down on our bed and heard a loud RIP. Nothing makes you feel slim when you are pregnant like making a huge hole in your sheets. Good times.

Melissa said...

Oh, this made me laugh! I still remember us having 9:00 am class together and me passing you, barely coherent, in the hallway while you bounced off to the kitchen ready to eat your breakfast and all ready for the day (didn't you even put deodorant on at night to save tim in the morning?)

Kelli said...

All true stories. Mackenzie in the morning is like one of those halloween mummies that pop out of the coffin when you walk by.