Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass = Almost Strictly Led Zeppelin! (key word: almost)

This weekend in Golden Gate Park, Alison Krauss and Robert Plant (i.e. lead singer of Led Zeppelin) came to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. It's free, it's bluegrass, and it's in the city - all great things. After a solo trip into the city via BART and Muni, during which I communed and conversed with some pretty rad fellow (stranger) Berkeleyites, I met up with Courtney, Amy, Garrett, Cameron, and Robin on a blanket in the middle of GG's Speedway Meadows. It was both mellow and rousing and ever so much fun.

Highlights:


1. The gopher that kept poking up under our blanket.




2. My knish. I don't know what country it's from, but it's potatoes, and spinach, and onions, and garlic with a light flour crust grilled around it, and when doused in hot sauce, it makes for a particularly delightful pre-dinner snack. Plus, technically it's FAIR FOOD. They also had corndogs and funnel cakes there, and while I didn't purchase any, I kept thinking about them.


3. Led Zeppelin covers - well, I guess they're not covers when ROBERT PLANT is singing them.
4. Alison Krauss. I love Alison Krauss. I love her voice and her fiddle. And I love it when she duos with Robert Plant and they put out an album together. I took several video clips during the concert until I captured the perfect sound byte for my blog - when I arrived home, however, my camera contained approximately how many video clips? One. And no, I am not a technological moron. I blame camera.




5. This guy, your friendly neighborhood chi-gong reiki shaman. We got to watch him demonstrate to boy in plaid how "intuitive healing" is done. We saw him later having a little arms-in-the air revival meeting.
6. Scantily-clad barefoot wavy-haired girls on shoulders pulsing to the music, waving their arms, and flicking their wrists. Sometimes they would reach into the sky as high as they could and sort of throw their bodies around. Had I ever been to Woodstock in the 60s, I'm pretty sure it would have looked like that.


7. People-watching. Bluegrass + free concert + San Francisco = people-watching climax of my life

I liked it. I really, really liked it.

3 comments:

Megs said...

Wow. Sometimes it's crazy for me to think you live near a place as crazy as San Francisco. Very different from Globe. We don't get much entertainment aside from the "let's celebrate our town's mining history" or the "there are a lot of Apaches around here" stuff.

Mama Thompson said...

I also LOVE Alison Krauss....that sounds like the most fun day!

Tina said...

I too must add that I love Alison Krauss and I would have loved to have seen it all with you...gopher and all!