In my attempts to keep my students continually intrigued by me (as a form of classroom management) without actually revealing any information about the regular happenings of my life outside of school, I told them that this Tuesday is my half-birthday, and really played it up like it was a big deal and that I was super excited about it.
"What's a half-birthday?" they ask.
"It's my 6-month anniversary!!!!"
"Of what??"
"Of turning 25!"
My 3rd period class totally ate it up, to the point where I actually told them we'd celebrate and I'd bring cupcakes (why do I do this to myself? Luckily, Safeway has cake mix on sale for 69...what, do they not put the 'cents' key on keyboards anymore???? Geez...$o.69 a box.). I even told them we could call my twin brother Burke and sing Happy Half-Birthday to him.
So the next day, one of them walks into class and hands me a triangular piece of paper. I'm looking at it, trying to figure to out what the heck he wants me to do with it, and he says, "Open it!" Turns out it was an envelope cut in half....I slit open the sticker (which had also been cut in half) holding the edge shut, and pulled out....a half-birthday card. He had made a birthday card, cut it in half, and stuck it inside the halved envelope.
Clever, no?
Sweet little students - the main reason why I totally love my job.
2 comments:
i like how you make fun of people who celebrate their half birthdays--losers, right? not!!! i always have cupcakes for my half birthday and that's just mean to mock. let's wait and see how big your actual birthday cake is going to be then let's talk about mocking!
I love the half-birthday card thing!
Post a Comment