Thursday, February 28, 2008

Answering Nature's Call

Oh my gosh, I haven't blogged in forever and I feel like I have all of these fabulous things to report!!

Ok.

Let's start with my most recent nature experience. I have come to the conclusion that while I would prefer to live near urban areas, I definitely don't do well living in them. And I consider Berkeley to be urban, oddly enough. There's just not enough space for me. I get so cramped and antsy and I just need to go outdoors to save my sanity. I credit my parents for exposing me to the wonders of the outdoors at a young and tender age. I had become incredibly restless, to the point that one morning on my way to work, I missed my exit while blissfully distracted by "Houses of the Holy." As I sailed past the familiar green sign, my immediate thought was, "Just keep going, Mack. Just keeeep going..." And I really, really wanted to, but let's face it, I rarely do anything rebellious.

Anyway, so a few weeks ago I had just about had it, and decided that the perfect solution to my almost unbearable restlessness was to take a hike (literally), and thanks to Mr. Lincoln for gracing us with his presence a few years back, I had the day off from work. Unfortunately, nobody else did. So I went by myself, much to my mother's dismay. But it was wonderful, and it did the trick. The drive itself was almost enough:

I ended up at Tomales Point Trail, in Point Reyes National Seashore (north of San Francisco in Marin County), which is part of the tule elk reserve. So I had about four different herds to keep me company. Here are some of the highlights (and for those of you who know me, the thick fog actually enhanced the experience).


Honestly, I can't describe how relieved I felt by the time I got home - no more stress, no more feeling all pent-up inside. It was fabulous.

3 comments:

courtney said...

oh hooray for houses of the holy and solitary drives and foggy green hills and elk. you should do that more often.

Megs said...

These photos are so beautiful! I love the one with the cliff by the ocean, and all those elk. Awesome.

Reid said...

I think your trip sounded adventurous if not rebellious, but it's probably preferrable that way. If you had followed through on what I took to be the scatological implications of your title, that might have been rebellious. I liked your angle.