Thursday, September 1, 2011

It's (Not) For the Kids

I'm in charge of updating our scholarship website at work. I was trying to get updated information on award amounts for a scholarship that Wendy's offers to student-athletes (this post is not about the irony associated with that, but please let it be noted).  So I'm sitting there scouring the website, and came across the number $10,000. And I'm thinking, hey, way to go Wendy's, you're making it up to the children for making them fat (I know, I know, people choose what they eat and Wendy's is not to blame).

So then I'm reading more closely, and it turns out that Wendy's is not actually giving the student $10,000, but is making a donation to the student's school in their name.

You know what the kid gets for all their hard work?

A $500 gift card. TO WENDY'S.

I feel another "SuperSize Me" coming on. A documentary about all the "scholarship" winners and how after spending $500 at Wendy's they just wished they had $500 to put toward their health insurance deductible.

(In Wendy's defense, their skin-on, sea-salt fries are awesome. So is their chili.)

1 comment:

stephannie.albrecht said...

Just when I think you're going progressive on me, you redeem yourself....and then you lose it again....and then you redeem yourself.