Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nephews: Why You Need Some

1. When you play "Guess Who I'm Thinking Of," they say, "I'm thinking of someone who's beautiful" - and it's you.

2. They'll stun you with the efficiency of their communication skills. Exhibit A: attack + tackle = attackle. Which is apparently what Grant thinks Bennett does. (Here, I'll use it in a sentence: "Aunt Mackenzie, Bennett's attackling me!")

3. They say entertaining things. For example:

Me: "Wow, you guys got dressed really fast this morning. You're so on the ball!"

Grant: "Ball? What ball? The cannonball?!"

Me:.....Sure. Any kind of ball.

4. They'll get up early with you and watch Portugal play in the World Cup. Nate now knows who Cristiano Ronaldo is. They'll also indulge you in your efforts to teach them Portuguese. Yesterday Scott walked into the kitchen, and Grant looked up and said, "Ola, pai!" And when I got Bennett to say "obrigado," Grant goes, "No, Bennett, it's obrrrrrigado." And totally rolled his 'r'.

5. They'll update you on all the hot toy fads, like "silly bandz." Nate is like Costco - he keeps giving me free samples. I now have quite the collection, including a "really rare" tie-dyed tulip, and this legitimately amazing mermaid and unicorn.
6. They'll make you feel uber loved. Can't beat that.
Seriously - nephews. Go pick some up.

2 comments:

Megs said...

Love it.

L said...

This is making me miss my nephews at ages four through six. They are 13 now (twin boys), and of course I still love them and they are great kids, but 13-year-old boys are definitely not as interested in giving their aunt hugs as four-year-old boys. And they like to roll their eyes and sigh, overwhelmed with the burden of teenagerdom.