Friday, June 25, 2010

Aunt Fail*

*I'm just going to begin this post with an attempted redemptive disclaimer: I am normally a bigger fan of my nephews than of soccer and am an incredibly devoted, playful, and attentive aunt. However. It's the World Cup. The World.

This morning was the Portugal v. Brazil game. I was home alone when my two year-old nephew Bennett woke up, so I ran up and got him out of his crib when it looked like nothing was about to happen and then ran back down and plopped him in front of the TV with me. He sat in my lap for a few minutes all adorable-like and then started squirming and said in his uber-sweet quiet voice,

"I don' wan watsh soccer...."

Me: "uh....you don't? are you sure?"

Bennett, getting whinier and louder: "I don' wan watsh soccer, Aun' Kinzshie!"

Me: (silence. I was trying to ignore him. Impossible business, that.)

Bennett, very loud: "I DON' WAN WATSH SOCCEEERRRRR!!!"

Me: "You know what, Bennett, it's the only thing on TV right now." (read that in a sad, sorry, sympathetic voice.)

He stopped talking after that and went and played with his airplane.

I am the worst person in the world.

4 comments:

L said...

Is it possible he was switched at birth? I mean, could he really be related to you and /not/ want to watch soccer?

The Koffords said...

okay that is sooooo awesome! you are a great aunt and they are so trusting of you! I am sure they have had so much fun with you. It is amazing how in a few days Diego and Backyardigans will mysteriously start playing again instead of soccer.

Mama Thompson said...

not a failure...a success...had you not been watching soccer, he would have started watching something and become glued to the tv...instead, you gave him the opportunity to go and exercise his imagination and play...see...success I tell you...success!

Oh...and your tooth fairy/santa sorry...awesome! I just hope you didn't go and ruin it for Burke

Megs said...

There you have it. You'll make a great mom.