Saturday, August 22, 2009

This is All Because Berkeley Made Me a Food Snob

So....last weekend I hobbled around Albertson's and found myself asking several things, mostly to myself:

1. "Why can I only get 'fresh' basil in a plastic container? It's already all wilted. Can't I just get a handful of it somewhere?"
2. "WHERE IS THE CILANTRO!?!?!?!?!?" (It had never actually occurred to me that grocery stores don't just carry it...I thought cilantro was pretty standard. Like potatoes.)
3. "Excuse me, do you guys have any fresh mozzarella, you know, like, where it's floating in that murky stuff?" "Uhhhhh.....(lady proceeds to walk in circles around the cheese thing)....I don't think we carry it."

Arg.

So today Sarah and I went to the Salt Lake Farmer's Market. One word: GODSEND.

I bought a little baggy full of legitimately fresh basil that looked like it was actually picked recently. I was pleased. More than pleased, actually, with the whole market in general. Good job, Salt Lake.

And THEN, I walked a little bit farther and found THIS:


Fresh basil year round!* In an adorable yellow pot. Good thing I bought it, too, because after I went to lunch with my friend Amanda, I got back to my car and found this:


Steamed basil. Not as aromatic (or fresh) when it's been sitting inside your hot car.

You can find me here every Saturday until the end of October.

*It is very, very likely that I will kill this thing.

8 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

Have a basil plant in my back yard...LOVE it...never thought of bringing it inside (since the UT winter's kinda kill it)...can you do that?

courtney said...

nothing can kill your will to cook like a utah supermarket. don't let them break you!

Megs said...

What, no fresh cilantro?! Maybe there aren't enough real Mexicans in SLC for the stores to stock it...

Unguren said...

We went to the farmers market today too! We also went last weekend and I bought a basil plant. I asked the guy and he said it would grown indoors if you put it next to a window. Good luck on keeping it alive.

Melissa said...

Mmmmmm...I have recently discovered fresh cilantro and I love it. I can't believe they didn't have it in the store! I've had a hard time finding basil before, but not cilantro.
They've had a Farmer's Market here this year, but it's always on Sunday so I haven't discovered the joy of it...

my name is amy said...

oh it hurt my heart a little to read what you can no longer get at the store. but then it soared a little to read you are saved by the farmers market! all is well. :)

L said...

Have you looked into a CSA (community supported agriculture) subscription? Check out localharvest.org for lots of good resources. And might there be a tiny mercado catering to Latinos? They usually have great fresh stuff.

Kelli said...

i told you.

also, check whole foods for the cilantro, or there are a lot of Latino markets in Rose Park. We like the one that is connected to a tortilla factory (!) I think its on about 4th south and 9th west?