Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Shouldn't I be losing weight by now?

This morning....and yesterday morning....I slept in until 10 am.

TEN O'CLOCK. For anyone who knows me, this is a real feat of strength, if not a genuine miracle. No joke, I'm pretty sure I haven't slept that late since, maybe, 8th grade? Maybe? I despise sleeping in. I hate snooze alarms. I don't like laying in bed awake, or even dozing on and off because I like to spring out of bed and start getting stuff done instead of lying there only thinking about getting stuff done. And have you ever noticed how beautiful it is when the sun comes up?

PLUS

I have been regularly waking up before 6 am since....oh, 9th grade. After over 10 years of subjecting my body to such an unnatural schedule (including two years of getting up at 4:30 am), it pays me back by refusing to sleep past about 7:30 no matter how hard I try. It doesn't seem to matter how late I stay up, I will generally be wide awake as soon as the sun comes up.

UNTIL

Vicodin. OH blessed Vicodin that does absolutely nothing for my pain but knocks me out cold. A few weeks ago I discovered that when you're doped up, sleeping in is a piece of cake....and even a wee bit enjoyable. I'm not actually on Vicodin anymore, but it also helps to have absolutely nothing to get up for.

Things I Have Discovered About Sleeping In:

1. It's not as horrible as I used to think it was.
2. Many people find it quite natural.
3. The days seem to go by much faster, oh wait, they are indeed shorter.
4. I eat WAAAAAYYYYYY less when I sleep in than when I'm awake for my normal 18 hours.

A little more on #4....when you eat breakfast at 6 am and then go-go-go, you have to eat Breakfast #2 at about 8:30 or 9, which means lunch is a must by 11:30, and then you have about 3 or 4 more meals before you go to bed, not counting snacks. But when you don't eat breakfast until 10, and then you just sit on a couch for the next 8 hours or so watching your foot turn different colors (I've started timing how long it takes my foot to go from white to purple when I stand up and all the blood rushes down...it ain't long, folks) and not burning any energy, it turns out that you only eat about 3 times a day. Three times!! For example, today I had some zucchini bread at 10, and now it's 4 pm and I'm just starting to get hungry.

This is the secret to weight loss.

2 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

I'll be sure to make a nice fattening meal for you tomorrow night to help with that whole weight loss thing:)

Megs said...

At our house waking up before 8:00 is just too painful. We sleep in because Chad's late night work schedule has turned us into night owls. But waking up early certainly has its merits. I usually don't wake up 'til close to 9:00, and it's already 95 degrees outside.