Sunday, May 24, 2009

Let the move begin.

Guys.

I move in three weeks. This occurred to me yesterday, and I started to panic a little in my tummy. I started going through stuff in my closet and sorting out what goes with me and what I never ever want to see again. I started giving things away during sacrament meeting today (thank you, Tony, for taking the large inflatable raft off my hands), and Craigs List is going to receive several postings tomorrow as I attempt to sell my furniture.

But the interesting part of the day was the following conversation. It took place at the U-Haul center down the street from my house:

Me: Hi, I need to check out rates for renting a truck.

UHaul man: Uh, we actually don't rent out trucks anymore.

Me: (long, long pause accompanied by narrowing of eyes and look of suspicion)...............what?

UHaul man: We don't rent out trucks anymore.

Me: (still extraordinarily confused because I returned a truck here 3 years ago when Mike and I drove it down from Washington) But isn't that what you guys do?

UHaul man: Not anymore.

Me: (SO CONFUSED STILL) what? what? why???

UHaul man: Berkeley shut us down. The neighbors were complaining.

Me: That's retarded. What do you even do here then?

UHaul man: We sell boxes.

Sell boxes? How do they even stay open?

Stupid Berkeley and their anti-everything. "Oooo look at me I live in Berkeley and I deliberately chose to move onto a busy street in an industrial part of town right next to a UHaul that's thriving despite a crappy economy, so I'm going to make sure that The Man doesn't win so I'm gonna complain about trucks going past my house to city council and get those UHaul jerks shut down because I know Berkeley will be on my side ooooooo....."

Ugh. I walked out of there so disappointed. I'm considering erasing this post.

P.S. After my last post about how I couldn't find a skirt to save my life, I went out and bought three skirts over the next two days. I'm hoping that by complaining about the UHaul closure, I can get them reopened. Turns out complaining gets stuff done. Hm.

1 comment:

Mama Thompson said...

I am laughing so hard...read it to Steve and David...they are laughing too! So glad you found some skirts (where?)...and here's hoping you get the uhaul reopenned!