but I don't really have my hopes up.
Today was, very deliberately, a Berkeley day. I woke up early and decided that I wanted to enjoy what this little town has to offer. Here's what I did (and for those of you who have never come to visit me, here's some pictures to show you what you've been missing):
1. Catholic mass at St. Joseph the Worker Church: Last week on a Sunday afternoon walk, Amy and I discovered that there is a Catholic church just a few blocks from my house. I've been looking forward to it all week. The priest talked about how we should not get so caught up in saints and which shrine is the holiest, and make sure we focus on the true message of Jesus Christ - love. Agreed. It was a nice reminder for me, actually, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to work it into my RS lesson next week.

2. Cafe M for Ladies' Brunch: Liz and I went to breakfast at 4th Street's trendy Cafe M. Two words: Eggs Blackstone. Best Hollandaise sauce I've ever had. Best hot chocolate I've ever had. Go there.

3. Half-Price Books: Liz and I wandered down Shattuck and spent some quality time in my favorite bookstore, which always makes an ordinary day extraordinary. I purchased In Cold Blood, O Pioneers, The House of Mirth, Notes of a Native Son, Dubliners, A Farewell to Arms, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - all for a mere $23. Come June, my heart will yearn for Half-Price Books.

4. Track Meet at Cal's track: Liz and I stopped by to watch Alex, who invited himself to an invitational, hurl himself up into the air on a long bendy pole and fling himself over a very high, precariously balanced bar.
5. Monterey Market: Oh how I heart cheap local produce. I can fill my enormous Lopez Village Market bag with sooooo many delicious, fresh fruits and veggies, with local Acme bread to beat.

6. Cheeseboard Pizza: This was actually my first time, but I've been hearing about it for three years. Today was the day, and it was well worth it. And very Berkeley - it's a co-op. Best part = when I ordered two slices, they snuck in a third.

This is what I did today. (Why am I moving??)
P.S. A heartfelt thank you to Google images for always coming through.
6 comments:
You should Yelp.
don't leave.
I will help. Berkeley is cool, but so is Salt Lake. Allow me...
1. Catholic mass at Cathedral of the Madeline. Then wander half a block to UCMT and get yourself a super cheap student massage. If you are really missing Berkeley, go to One World Cafe next door where you "pay what you feel is fair"
2. Brunch at Ruth's Diner, up immigration canyon. You will not be disappointed with the hot chocolate or the Hollandaise (or fresh sliced tomato) on the Eggs Benedict, I promise. Plus, it's in top of the mountains and ridiculously cute!
3. Sam Weller Books. Or better yet, the downtown library.
4. I'm sure you can find some kind of athletic event at the U (obviously not my strong point), but alas, I can't replace Liz or Alex.
5. Downtown Farmer's Market! I miss this so much. And borrow someone's dog so you don't feel out of place. And say hello to Joe's dad who will be selling flowers!
6. The obvious pick here is the Pie, but don't underestimate the bbq chicken pizza at Wasatch Pizza. Oooh, or Stoneground, that place you and I stayed for hours and the waitress kept trying to get rid of us. Also, I hear good things about Este if you like NYC-style.
Bonus: get yourself a chocolate-dipped ice cream cone at Hatch family chocolates...mmmmm....
I know it's hard to leave. Hopefully I can help make the transition a little easier!
Kelli, that helps. That actually really helps.
And to the rest of you, I'd like to introduce you to Kelli. Although we used to refer to her as Regular Kelli, she is anything but. Like google images, she always comes through.
SLC offers me...need i say more?
i just reread what you wrote and got so so sad.
Post a Comment