Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I finally beat the system.


Over the last several months, I was dismayed to find that both grocery and drug stores have ceased to carry my lip balm of choice - Blistex Herbal Answer. It's the best. I don't like any other kind nearly as much as this smooth-never gritty, mildly lemon-lime scented chapstick. I am so devoted that I bought 12 tubes to take with me to Portugal (I'm pretty sure I came back with, like, seven.). I was deeply unsettled by some pompous company's thoughtless decision to phase out my lip balm without even consulting their most devoted consumer. So what if I'm the only one buying it. Doesn't the customer come first?

So I fought back. "Take that!" I said. "You take away my chapstick, I'll...I'll...I'll BUY IT ONLINE!" So I did. I bought ten tubes on some generic drugstore website. And I feel weirdly gratified, like somehow I've managed, for quite possibly the first time in my life, to stick it to The Man. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong since they're still making money off of me and clearly have me under their aloe, avocado, shea butter, and jojoba powers, but I'm just going to go ahead and claim victory. Eat it, Blistex.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I have a friend in NY that imports cases of Natural Ice from Utah. She is so addicted she kept a tube of it in her bouquet at her wedding. What can you do when you like what you like?

This coming from a girl who has a stockpile of Ban deodorant...

Amanda Lynn, to be exact said...

When I found out that Bath & Body Works was phasing out their Basil and Verbena fragrance I bought just about every lotion, body butter, body spray, etc. that they had...lasted me for YEARS. But I was a happy camper...and I smelled like...well, a happy camper. Turns out it wasnt' the best fragrance for me. Oh well.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mackenzie, for the comments you left on my blog. I have to tell you that your lesson this morning was absolutely wonderful. I have not felt so moved by a lesson in so long as I did during yours. When you started comparing going to Brazil to doing one small act of kindness for your mom I felt the tears well up in my own eyes. You are so amazing! I am going to miss you when you leave!

Emi Sue said...

You go girl! That's what I like to see, a little sister bullhead in you too!