Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Bleed Black and Orange.

Yesterday I told a friend that my blog never really had anything awkwardly "personal" on it. While this may not be awkward, it's perhaps a tad more personal? I don't know, you tell me.


I was sitting at work grading papers after school yesterday and got a little distracted. I kind of started just looking at my classroom, and it started to hit me that, next year, I will no longer be here. I decided that I was very much going to miss the view from my desk. It looks like this:








I will not attempt to express my feelings about my classroom and its typical inhabitants, other than to say that I dearly love them.


I am definitely excited to go back to school, but I am NOT excited about leaving Vaca High. I absolutely love it here. It's starting to hit me how little time I have left here and how much I absolutely love my job. I could not have asked or hoped for anything more in a teaching experience than what I've had in dear, sweet Vacaville. I love my students (oh I really do love those kids; I don't know if they know that...), the admin, the school itself, all my co-workers....it's all perfect for me. Go Bulldogs (sob).


I love teaching and the thought of not being a teacher is, at this moment, making me sort of hurt.


People, I'm going to have to change the subtitle of my blog. That means I'm actually changing my identity. This will be a hard day for me. Maybe harder than the day I switched from Washington to California license plates, and when I asked the mean DMV lady if I could keep one of my old plates (last real governmental evidence of my beloved roots, right?), she actually smirked at me as she threw them in the trash can. I feel like that was harsh, snarky, and unnecessary. I went home and died a little bit inside, sitting in my car on the street in front of my apartment.



I'm feeling some crying coming on.

.

4 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

Don't know how to comfort you right now...just know that I feel like giving you a hug! And luckily, I will get to do that in person, sooner then later!!!

Melissa said...

First, congratulations on going back to school! That will be exciting. Second, looking at those pictures and reading your description almost made me cry (I missed my classroom!) Life changes are always hard. I'm so glad you've had a good experience teaching.

Tina said...

I like to see the pictures of where you are everyday. I'm sorry you will miss your job, but so happy you had good experiences there.

Lynn said...

First off...I'm sorry if I seem to be cyber-stalking...I always feel a little funny reading my kids friends blogs...but for some reason I opened yours today. I now have full blown tears! Working at a high school as I do (and being attached to it like you)I felt this very sad spot in my heart that someone who loves all about teaching is leaving those kids. There are far too msny teachers who put their time in everyday just to get a day closer to their GOD GIVEN retirement. I hope whatever you do will still include touching the lives of students who desperately need role models and awesome people like you. I knew I loved you for a lot of reasons...hears just one more. Good luck on your next adventure.