Friday, November 14, 2008

I found this amusing.

A couple days ago my mom sent us kids an email. After explaining how blessed she feels in her life, she requested that we not give her anything for Christmas this year, and that we use the money for a good cause or save it. Tender and generous, right? Here's my brother Scott's response:

Awesome! You're the best. I was really struggling with what to get you this year, but it never occurred to me that I should give you the gift of nothing. Why have I not thought of this before? Why am I not giving this wonderful gift to everyone I know? I like this. I wonder if Alexis will give me a blank Christmas list as well full of wonderful nothings to not put under the tree. Cam, Burke, Mackenzie, I'm pretty sure I know what you all want this year...yep, you guessed it...a package full of nothing! I'll not order it on Amazon.com right now and not send it to you. Don't keep an eye out for it. You're going to not love it. Mom, I'm already looking forward to Mother's Day and your birthday. They're so close together, that it's always been hard to figure out what to give you for both. It will be so much easier next time to not get you anything...well, maybe a nice card...but I won't write anything in it or tell you who it's from.

I love you!
Scott

And here's what Mom wrote in return:

I only mentioned Christmas, not my birthday and Mother's Day. Let's not get carried away with this. Oh yes, isn't there also Grandparents' Day? And how about Valentine's Day? Are you feelin' the love? I'll be expecting very large gifts for those holidays to make up for my generosity now.

Love you, honey.
Mom

And here's where it gets even better - Burke's response:

Why don't you stop beating around the bush with all of this "My life is so amazing" crap and just admit that you don't want anything because you hate our gifts. You are just tired of getting junk. Year in and year out you've been putting on this stupid little song and dance pretending to enjoy your gifts when all you really wanted to do was destroy them. But you're in luck this year! I'm not only going to get you a gift, I'm going to make it extra crappy so you have to work extra hard pretending to enjoy it.

whatever,
-Burke

And Mom:

My dearest Burke,

One of the nice things about children growing up is that they are finally able to see through their parents' fakery. I am grateful that I no longer have to pretend. Believe me when I say that twenty plus years of practicing surprise and delight at your gifts has been pure torture. If you insist on presenting your version of a Christmas gift, I can now relax in the knowledge that I can tell you exactly what I think of it. Keep the sales receipt, son. You're going to need it.

Hugs and kisses,
Your loving mom

Disclaimer: I really hope this doesn't need to be said, but I hope you did catch the sarcasm.

4 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

and that is why I love your family!

Whitney said...

your family cracks me up. the pure creativity to come up with the replies is enough. thanks for sharing. and, btw, i better tell scott that alexis's list will most definitely not be blank. do you think he'll be surprised?

Kelli said...

awe. some.

Tina said...

If anyone were to read these and not know you guys they would think they were all so rude! I LOVE IT!