Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I heart last weekend.

Friday: Old Crow Medicine Show concert

Courtney and I treated ourselves to a night out on the town. Every single thing went perfectly. We got seated right away (well, it was at the bar, but it was immediate) at the Thai restaurant we wanted to try out (which seat I procured while Courtney discovered a street apparently unknown to the rest of San Fran which provided a plenitude of fine parking options), and then we found some really great cheesecake and apricot tart being sold in a very conveniently located store on our way to the car, and then we found another parking spot a mere two blocks away from the Fillmore, where we saw Mackenzie's favorite bluegrass band, Old Crow Medicine Show, perform. Here's a shot of us in our perfect parking spot:


It was the best concert I've ever been to (don't ask how many concerts I've been to...but in my defense, it's more than 5). It was a foot-stompin' good time (except that by the second half there was so much beer on the floor that you couldn't actually stomp your foot anymore or your shoe would come off) and I loved every single second of it. I love bluegrass. I love how earthy and raw it is, and the added kick is the historical value provided when a bunch of guys in their 20s decide to revive pre-1950 folk ballads.

Saturday: Relief Society Clothing Swap/Fashion Show


Premise: Bring clothes for charity, but before you give them away, throw them in a big pile so your friends can go through them first, and then pull out all the weird stuff and model it through the foyer for the elders' quorum, who might chance to be there for an activity as well. It's a surprisingly good time, with benefits for all.

Acquisitions: hoodie covered in cherries, white cardigan, light brown tee, board shorts.

Saturday Night: Don't buy macaroni and cheese at a brewery. "Hefeweizen" is not a variety of cheese that you've just never heard of. And the strange flavor is not stinky cheese - it's hops. Granted, the alcohol is all cooked out, but who wants macaroni and cheese that smells like beer?
Sunday: Game Night

My apartment without 31 people in it:

Small, yes?
My apartment with 31 people in it, of whom you can only see about 2/3:

Between me, Yolanda, and our third roommate/her boyfriend Aaron, we inadvertently invited the entire ward to our apartment. The possibility of having more than our apt's max capacity ran through my mind for a split second, but really, when does everyone you invite actually show up? I wasn't worried. And then people just kept coming. We had a great time, and the only point at which I was slightly concerned about the obscene number of people at my house was when half the ward filed into my room and later exited wearing half my wardrobe.
Monday was work, but today was Vet'rans Day. The highlight was the text message I received from Burke telling me to go to this fan page for Chilly Willy, the adorable, endearing little penguin who got his own little 5 minute cartoon on the Woody Woodpecker show. I loved this cartoon. I haven't watched it for about 20 years, but I would frequently remember the theme song and sing it on occasion, priding myself on being able recollect such an obscure memory from my childhood. When I sang it, it always went like this: "My name is Chilly Willy, I'm frozen through and through. My head is cold and my tail is blue, ha - hee - ha chOO!"
It never occurred to me that perhaps I was not singing the right words.

3 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

I had the "my head is hot and my feet are cold" part right....I sing this song a million times in the winter and had no idea that I was incorrect on parts of it...AND that there are so many more words...I shall be memorizing, so this winter I don't teach impressionable Dallin the incorrect words!

Tina said...

What a fun weekend! And I too love chilly willy!!!

courtney said...

friday: was one of THE BESt nights EVER! i don't say that lightly. you forgot to mention how i scored us seats at the reserved table so your foot wouldn't ache, and our fabulous fillmore posters.

saturday1: i'm so glad the clothes in that picture are not in my room anymore.

saturday2: besides the drunk mac'n'cheese how was that place? i've always wondered about it...

sunday: i love this picture. the look of displeasure on my face is due to the quite unpleasant smell that erupted near my spot on the couch just prior. boys! it was horrible.