Realization #1: My new (or rather, new to me) portable this year is situated on one of the front corners of campus, right across the street from this house. I've always thought it was an odd house because it's painted white and - and there is no mistaking the shade here - powder blue. As bizarre as it is, it always kind of reminded me of something, and yesterday, after watching them put a brand-new statue of a Greek goddess in their front yard, I finally realized that this house MUST have been painted to look like the Greek flag. It's kind of ridiculous, and kind of straight out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Pictures to come soon.
Realization #2: I also finally put my finger on the funky odor in my classroom - rubber with a strong hint of bacon. Awesome.
Realization #3: Last night was Back to School Night. About the third round of parents comes a mom who walks up and hands me a whole ream of printer paper, saying, "I know how it is."
This has never happened to me before. No one has ever handed me office supplies like I was on the brink of paper starvation or something. I didn't have the heart to tell her that the one office supply we mysteriously never run out of is printer paper. Whiteboard pens, however - totally different story. Point being, the realization is that I am now one of those teachers who is supposed to live for office supplies. Granted, I've always had a soft spot for staples and paper clips and such, but to receive it as a gift? Why do my elementary teacher friends get gift cards to cool places, and I get paper?
Realization #4: This one is two-fold. The ipod was on shuffle play tonight as I drove home (and can I just mention that this is the third night in a row that I have left work at 8:00? Oi.) and up comes a Christmas song. I'm aware that I have a reputation for being adamantly opposed to Christmas music anytime outside of Thanksgiving to Christmas Day, to the point where I'd boycott Christmas hymn suggestions in the MTC and refuse to sing, even though we'd sung everything else in the Portuguese hymnbook because there just aren't that many in it, plus you sing about 12 songs a day in the MTC and there was just nothing left. I am also famous for shouting, "Christmas music brings these special little feelings and you can't play it in June or it gets all mixed up and confused with summer feelings!!" However, today I decided that those special little Christmas feelings actually feel pretty good in September, and then I realized that it's freakin' September which means that it's ALMOST CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!! Can I get a hallelujah chorus, please?
Realization #5: This is not my best post.
6 comments:
I love the paper gift--hilarious! Did she honestly say "I know how it is?" And I cannot believe that I'm already excited for Christmas too. Chad got so mad at me a couple of weeks ago for letting Bree watch Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas. She keeps asking for it now, and I'm like, "Daddy said no," which I realize is not a healthy response, but I've gone soft in my motherliness. It's gotten so bad that last year I broke out the Christmas music in October, and had watched all our Christmas movies before Thanksgiving!
Talk to vicki about gift cards...she was having an auction and one of the parents donated a cold stone gift card. Vicki hyped it up by saying, "Oh!! This place is the best I love their icecream!!!" or something like that and the next day she received $60+ dollars worth of cold stone gift cards. I would of been in Hog Heaven--literally!!!!!
Dang it...now what am I going to get you for Christmas???? Staples it is my friend...staples it is!
not your best post? i'll be the judge of that. get your hand out of my pocket!
it was a good post....i miss you mackenzie.
Ah, i have missed kenzie's need to keep christmas where christmas belongs. But i have to say i was at Tai Pan Trading, which is the best home decor store in the world, and their christmas stuff made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
Post a Comment