Was beginning my junior year of high school. I had just gotten my license and was driving my (read: Dad's) cute firebird-yellow 1973 Porsche 914 around....and don't go thinking I was spoiled, because that car, for as much as I adore it, was ridiculously slow coming out of first gear, didn't go all that fast (Volkswagen engine), and leaked oil into the heater. Thus, if it was cold and you decided to turn on said heater, oil fumes would fill the inside of the car. I could also mention the leak in the windshield wiper fluid tube - when you pushed the lever, the fluid would shoot out onto your knees. Some sort of fuse box (with no cover) was also situated right above your knees, and the fuse for the headlights was particularly loose and had a nasty habit of falling out at night. That reminds me of the corroded battery cable that occasionally unhooked itself, and the leak in the brake fluid line that made the brake pedal occasionally drop to the floor.
But I loved it with all my heart and drove it all over. I'd pick Tina up in the morning for school and we'd bundle up so we could defrost the window by opening the windows even though it was freezing out (because of the whole oil fumes thing). We'd blast Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" and the Beastie Boys the whole way there. This is also the car in which Tina and I were attacked by a rabid devil dog, which is officially the only truly scary thing that has ever happened to me. Maybe I'll post about that on Halloween...
Ours looks exactly like this one, including the lack of side mirrors, but that's because one of them flew off - it dangled precariously and then suddenly broke off and shot down the freeway behind me going about 75 mph. Who knows what happened to the other one.
The quirks gave it character, and Dad and I can't bear to get rid of it. Love/Adoration + it makes a really cute island car = now it's up on Lopez. Every time we go there, I climb inside, close my eyes, and slowly breathe in the smell of old vinyl and gas fumes. Brings me right back.
5 things on today's "to do" list:
1. Grade papers
2. Get a burrito with Courtney and bashful glances from Amigo
3. Grade more papers
4. Finish reading Catch 22
5. Plan trips to Utah, Washington, NC, Cannon Beach, and the Shakespeare Festival! All very recent developments. :)
5 snacks I enjoy:
1. Trader Joe's "Fruit Floes" popsicles
2. mangoes and most other foods
3. little Mediterranean cucumbers that are the size of pickles
4. Cheese of any variety except extra stinky
5. RiceWorks rice chips....they're so super yummy, but I've only had them once and haven't been able to find them since, but I'd like to think that I snack on them...
5 things I would do if I were a millionaire:
1. Go to Portugal twice a year, at least, and then fly all over the world the rest of the time
2. Pay off Burke's med school student loans....and Scott and Alexis's if they have any, and send Cam to MRI school...
3. Purchase a life-time supply of Fruit Floes
4. Donate to education
5. Buy anything my family and friends ever wanted and more
5 places I have lived:
1. Auburn, WA. I heart the rain.
2. Provo, UT
3. Vila Nova de Gaia, Braga, e Coimbra - Viva Portugal!
4. Berkeley, CA
5. Clemmons, NC (yes, it was short-lived, but I was definitely living there)
Five jobs I have had:
1. Medical-related stuff through Dad (Like an assistant at his office. Turns out I'm wicked good at filing. They loved me. Then I was a "Pre-Op/Post-Op Aide" at a surgery center. They also loved me because I was so freakishly good at taking vitals, making beds, and keeping the fridge stocked with saline bags.)
2. YMCA Day-Camp Counselor (where all the kids called me "Squirt" because it was my favorite drink) and summer school math tutor (yes, math. I had 'em all fooled into thinking I could do it.)
3. Research assistant for a Portuguese lit project in college, and a TA for one of my professors for a "Colonial America" course. He loved me because I could grade all his essay exams.
4. English teacher at good ol' Vaca High - I bleed black and orange.
5. Nanny/aunt for my nephews. Best job I've had so far.
I tag...Alexis, Megan, Courtney and Alisa (although I'm pretty sure they hate blog tag - tough!), and BK.
Rules: Each player answers the question themselves. At the end of the post the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blog and leaves them a comment letting them know that they've been tagged and asking them to read your blog. Let the person that tagged you know when you've answered the questions on your blog.
2 comments:
Good times! Good Times! It's funny you bring this up, because I was going through my CDs yesterday as I was unpacking and came across the Tina and Mackenzie Songs CD. Like I said...Good times!
me alisa? i'm pretty sure i'm the only alisa that spells it that way that you know, but here in new york at school there are three alisa's. that's right...3! one of them is even alisa becker. so weird right? i never knew people with my name. then i move to berkeley and there are two elisa's and now three alisa's. good thing i had berkeley to prepare me for this. but, just to double check...me?
Post a Comment