Sunday, March 28, 2010

I'm not gonna blog about Spring Break.

Nothing I could say would do justice to how lovely and wonderful and perfect it was. I mean, can you really describe how great it is to drive 10 hours to Berkeley (and I'm not being sarcastic - I really, sincerely love roadtripping by myself - and let me point out that I make great time. Google calls that trip an 11 and 1/2 hour drive), and then be greeted by all of the simple, unextraordinary things that I loved doing when I lived there?

For example.
Try to imagine how wonderful it was to drive past Vaca High and my little old portable (moment of silence, please) and grab lunch with some co-workers, only to be joyously greeted by former students who saw me walk in. Or to ride my bike from Amy's house down to the Berkeley marina and get me some ocean, or to ride bikes with Courtney and Cameron to get a burrito from Amigo (who, unfortunately, was not working that day, I'm sure much to his dismay) and cruise the tree-lined streets of Alameda at sunset.
Or hiking to this?

Or hanging out with my favorite ladies (minus Alisa)?

Or OH MY GOSH the impressive amount of food I ate? Here, I would like to insert an itinerary of places to eat for all of you who might potentially visit Berkeley and need to be informed as to the food options which are not to be matched by any city I have previously lived in:

Day 1: car snacks during the day, La Familia taqueria for dinner, promptly followed by Yogurt Park's frozen yogurt and Kingpin Donut's maple bars and buttermilk donuts (and it's important that these all come in quick succession)

Day 2: The other half of each of your donuts, left-over sorority house food courtesy of Amy's super sweet hook up, topped up with Reese's peanut butter eggs while playing Nerts with people from your old beloved ward.

Day 3: Breakfast of Cafe M's eggs blackstone with hot chocolate, BJ's for lunch, and Romero and Son's burrito for dinner courtesy of Amigo's co-workers

Day 4: naan from Trader Joe's for breakfast, gummi bears and goldfish crackers during your hike that you find in the glove box, Gypsy's pesto calzone (which has completely destroyed my chances of ever ordering a calzone at any other restaurant) for dinner and Round 2 at Yogurt Park for dessert. Oh, and Courtney's yummy pasta with homemade vodka sauce for late-night dinner #2.

Day 5: Betty's Bakesale's strawberry shortcake for breakfast, Jon's Street Eats' patty melt and grilled asparagus with prosciutto for lunch, and Westfield Mall's gourmet food court for dinner.

Day 6: whatever you want for breakfast, Cheeseboard pizza for lunch, and Platano's Salvadoran food for dinner with the Ladies (the pupusas are awesome, but make sure you get the fried plantains with black beans and crema - ohmygosh, get in my belly....)

Day 7: car snacks courtesy of Trader Joe's and Monterey Market
Also, before you head out of town, don't forget to buy two weeks' worth of produce at Monterey Market and all of the Reed's Ginger Brew that Trader Joe's has in stock. Also, a visit to Half-Price Bookstore will only top off your vacation.

Friends, this trip encompassed everything that I love - awesome friends, solo roadtripping, incredible food, riding my bike, hiking, and the ocean. I wouldn't even know where to start. I barely even took any pictures because I knew they couldn't capture the wonderfulness. So I'm not gonna blog about it. Just use your imagination to think up the most lovely, simple, relaxing spring break you can think of, and I'm sure you'll nail it.
P.S. Just don't imagine this part:

5 comments:

Megs said...

You and food and books. A lovely trifecta. How many books did you buy? And is there no Trader Joe's in Utah? Or just no Ginger Brew?

Marcus said...

I miss Berkeley!

my name is amy said...

thank you for not blogging about spring break. and thank you for saying "get in my belly".

Connie said...

i got to see alisa over spring break. bam.

but not you. :(

alisa said...

i feel so popular on mackenzie's blog....reading it did make me hungry though. oh amigo, i miss you.