Monday, April 5, 2010

TMI

Today, on two separate occasions, I determined that mangos and frozen balls of cookie dough are foods fit for the gods.

Related Story #1

On MANY occasions while I was a teacher, promptly after my last sweet little student walked out my classroom at the end of the day, I'd grab a mango from my food drawer (because when you get to work at 7 and don't leave till after 5, you bring a sack of groceries with you to work), grab my canister of Costco wet wipes (to clean up afterwards), roll my chair up to the garbage can, and begin to devour the mango. Think of a lion tearing apart the carcass of a small wildebeest, with blood dripping off of its paws/mouth, and you've pretty much captured what I looked like with mango juice all over my hands and face and dripping into the garbage can, with a look on my face saying, "Come between me and my mango, and you'll pay." It was neither lady-like nor polite (Disclaimer: I can eat a mango like a lady should. But when you're alone, why make the effort?). I was always waiting for the day when a student would come running back in and find me hovering over the garbage can, drooling. Sometimes I think, had that happened, it might have torn down whatever noble pedestal they held me on....but then I think it probably would have been par for the course.

Related Story #2

I am in the process of using up all the ingredients in my cupboard before moving out at the end of the month. This requires making cookies to rid myself of the flour, sugar, baking soda, multiple already-opened bags of random nuts, etc. Over the weekend, I made a batch of oatmeal cookie dough that had about 7 whole walnuts thrown in that I was too lazy to cut up (however, I think I may continue to do it in the future...it made for mouthfuls of nutty goodness) and about 10 chocolate chips. But does Mackenzie really need to cook up the entire bowl of dough in one day, only to be consumed primarily by herself (probably also in one day)? "No, she doesn't," I thought. So I made the smart choice. I made one tray of cookies and froze the rest. But now I have all these delightful balls of frozen cookie dough in the freezer.

It's a problem.

2 comments:

L said...

Related Story #1 reminds me of Brasil. In the summer, the streets are littered with mango seeds, sucked clean. I don't like getting my hands all sticky, so I eat mango the boring way. Good for you, though.

Related Story #2. It may be a problem, but it sounds brilliant!

Melissa said...

Frozen cookie dough could definitely present a problem...although a delicious one. When making cookies I think I usually consume more cookie dough then I do the actual cookies.