Many, many years ago, my twin brother Burke ran down the stairs in our house and deliberately threw himself into the wall on the way down. When my mom and I heard the loud bang and asked what had happened, he replied, "My brain hit the side of my head!"
We never really suspected he'd go to medical school.
But he did, and he's graduating in May, and TODAY was Match Day, where all the 4th year med school students in the entire country are handed an envelope at 12:00 (they actually had to wait for a timer to go off) that they open and discover where they will be spending the next 5+ years of their life for their residency. Burke had ranked all the residency programs he'd interviewed with, and they ranked all their applicants, and everyone found out today what program they matched with. I can assure you that I have been DYING for the last several days to know where he'd go. I'm pretty sure Burke was eager to find out as well.
A couple weeks ago, Burke and I had a conversation that included the following:
Burke: I don't know, we'll see what happens.
Me: I'm sure you'll get in to a program you like. I mean, you're a really great candidate.
Burke: Uhhh, how do you know?
Me: I don't know...I mean, you're great. You've worked hard, you've been involved in stuff...(trails off...worried that if Burke doesn't think he's a great candidate, what do I know??)
Burke: Some people don't even match with any of the schools they rank. I might not even match, Kenzie. (proceeds to tell me about a girl who's way more qualifed than him who matched at her 11th school out of 12 i.e. almost didn't match.)
But this is Burke we're talking about here. Which means HE MATCHED WITH HIS SECOND CHOICE!!!!! Why? Because my twin brother is AMAZING. That's why.
You know what else is great? He matched at UC Davis' residency program in Sacramento, CA, which means HE'S COMING BACK TO THE WEST COAST!!!! He'll only be a mere....9 hours away.
You know what else this means? This means that since Cam moved to L.A. last fall, and Burke is moving to Sacramento this summer, two of my three brothers have conveniently moved to California...promptly after I moved away. Brilliant.
But 3 of the 4 kids will be on the same side of the country!! (And I'm thinking of moving to Oregon after I graduate, by the way...) So...Scott, Alexis....you know what you need to do.
5 comments:
Congrats to your brother! I know lots of people would love it if you moved back here too ... Just think how close you would have been in cow-town! But it gives you reason to visit and introduce your brother to all your friends ...
Oh, and I have to say you must drive fast, if Sacramento will only be 8 hours away ;-p. Sariah
Yay for your brother! Who could seriously doubt, though, that brilliance runs in your family? My grad school roommate matched at UC Davis, and ended up loving it here. (She did not end up loving surgery, but that's another story...) Sacramento, well, has its good points. :) I mean, it's no bay area, but it's grown on me in the 2.5 years I've been here. It's an easy city to live in, and has some lovely neighborhoods.
If your brother needs any pre-moving-to-Sacramento advice on housing or whatever, I am certainly happy to advise, and you may feel free to pass along my e-mail. And I would love, love, love to see you if/when you come to visit him!!
Very cool!!! I'll have to email him and tell my cousin great job!! Steve and Jamie are in Folsom and they love it. We went for a visit last year and it was soooo fun!!!! Hopefully Burke and Steve will be able to get together everyonce in a while.. Love you!!!!
I am so proud of him! And so proud of you for being such a proud, positive, and loyal sister! :O) You are my most favoritest twins ever! ;O)
Post a Comment