Friday, July 25, 2008

Nostalgic Nugget: Forts

Whenever I'm trying to help Alexis entertain the boys, I frequently think back on my own childhood for ideas. The things that stand out are as follows: playing in the woods (with my dad's machete and hatchet...???), playing school/house/office/trolls/orphans, playing with Buffy, building forts, playing in the treehouse, etc. However, there aren't really any accessible woods here unless we'd like to get shot (you'll recall that I'm currently living down South), playing all those imaginative games are kind of girly (plus we don't really have the resources to play them up to my standards - I had an impressive array of office supplies as a child), Buffy is no longer with us, and there are no trees in our yard of proper strength or stature. So we built a fort. Alexis said it was the best one that had been built in their house, to her knowledge.
Nostalgic Nugget: As a child, forts were usually built under the ping-pong table, where Burke and I each got a side; occasionally they were built in the field by our house, like the time we hacked a trail through some sticker bushes with that machete and hid out there. Later, my freshman roommates and I built a fort in the Nerdery of Heritage Halls, complete with secret entrances and a trapdoor. It was large enough for all 6 of us to sprawl out and sleep in with room to spare. I recollect suggesting this activity recently among friends, but apparently forts are no longer a "cool" thing to do. Not sure why.

No comments: