If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a brief summary:
Flat Stanley is a children's book about a boy named Stanley Lambchop. His dad gives him a bulletin board and hangs it over his bed (Come on, Dad, that's just an accident waiting to happen) where it OF COURSE falls off the wall and flattens him in his sleep, but Stanley, being a boy of great ingenuity and courage, makes the best of a somewhat odd, not to mention impossible, situation and LIVES IT UP as a newly flat boy and takes off on all kinds of adventures including mailing himself off to faraway places (which is not a bad idea considering the cost of airline tickets - if it were that easy, I would have been to Greece long, long ago). So elementary teachers, including my nephew Nate's 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Carpenter, have since been having their students send little Stanley replicas off to faraway places. All the F.S.'s are then returned with evidence of wild adventures. Apparently the idea is to teach them about geography. Or something.
(A side note: This book has been around since 1964, well before I was in 2nd grade. Mrs. Beck has some explaining to do.)
So Nate's version of Flat Stanley was mailed off to SLC from North Carolina a couple weeks ago, and I have since been taking him with me EVERYWHERE. Please observe:
Flat Stanley at Supercross (front row seats, no less. Nothing but the best for F.S.)
Flat Stanley school-counseling...
Drooling at Gourmandise bakery
Eating Nielsen's Frozen Custard
Saving three ducklings from the neighbor's window well and setting them free at Sugarhouse Park
Celebrating Cinco de Mayo
GRADUATING WITH A MASTER'S DEGREE!!! (Beat that, all of Nate's classmates...)
Doing research on what colleges he'd like to attend.
Learning about paintings of Christ
Checking out the Y
Visiting the Great Salt Lake
Taking Grandma for a spin
Frolicking on the salt flats
Visiting Temple Square
Going for a ski at Snowbird
And taking one last look at the Salt Lake valley before going home to North Carolina!!
If this doesn't get me Aunt of the Year 2011, I don't know what will.
5 comments:
You definitely earn Aunt of the Year!!
I love doing Flat Stanley! Way to go! and I love the photo of FS with the Y, he looks like a few steps up that mt and he'll make it in record time :)
I love Flat Stanley! And that definitely should put you in the running for Aunt of the Year...
And my own Phlat Stanley presentation. Though it appears you've brushed up on your FS history since this vid.
http://youtu.be/W3jE89M3WNM
Great FS pics! Stanley is one lucky guy. So is Nate.
Post a Comment