1. My bedroom is directly above our kitchen. On Saturday, I was in my room and dropped my very full, heavy water bottle on the floor. It was immediately followed by a crash downstairs, which turns out, was the white, domed light fixture in our kitchen ceiling crashing to the floor. Nicole had stood there and seen everything. Then I realized that the spot where I had dropped my water bottle just happened to be directly above the kitchen light.
Oops.
2. Last week Heather (Roommate #32) and I realized that the dishwasher was suddenly scarring our silverware with a thick pasty white residue that could only be removed by very localized, intense fingernail scratching. This exhausted and angered us. So we took action. We were hesitant to report the dishwasher to Colleen, the landlady, before we knew for sure that it was the problem, especially since Heather has been waiting for YEARS (read: not years) to get new blinds (who can live without nice blinds!!) and we did NOT want to wait years to use our silverware. So we formed a hypothesis that it was not the dishwasher itself but the new detergent Heather had bought (Cascade - I know it's a name brand, but don't go anywhere near it. I bet they changed their formula to save money and now it downright sucks and is practically a whole different product, just like Aussie did to my Sprunch Spray.), and conducted an experiment by borrowing the boys-next-door's dishwasher detergent and running the dishwasher with both old, scarred silverware and some new, shiny silverware.
Good news: Success. It was the detergent. Go Electrosol.
Bad news: Electrosol did not cleanse our old silverware of the offensive white film.
So then we tried vinegar. Why? Because we've heard good things about it. Not trusting the effects of dilution, I filled a whole glass with pure, unadulterated apple cider vinegar, threw in some nasty silverware, and lo and behold within MINUTES, the silverware was saved!! Vinegar has reached divine status in terms of household products. Heather says she even uses it when she has an upset stomach. So keep an eye out for our new blog:
"365 Ways to Use Vinegar" - one for each day of the year, in case you didn't pick that up.
4 comments:
I'll totally guest post on your blog. I have a couple of really good vinegar uses, including disinfecting asthma inhaler mouthpieces (who knew?).
Heather also thinks you should drink cayenne pepper for allergies...just saying.
I have your blog in google reader and the blog post that popped up right under yours was this one http://betterbarefooter.blogspot.com/2008/07/homemade-laundry-detergent.html
Today is a fount of cleaning information via blogs!
i really like this.
I do most of my cleaning with vinegar now (our landlord won't let us use anything else on the floors) AND I use it in my produce wash spray.
Post a Comment