Friday, June 5, 2009

I need a good bank robber.

My AP kids are watching "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." We're sitting in 1st period watching it, I'm leaning on my desk, resting my head on my elbow, and up comes a line that I've never noticed before.

It goes like this. Butch tells his girlfriend, Etta, that he and the Kid have to flee to Bolivia to escape the expert posse pursuing them. She's welcome to come because she'd be good for their cover, but the second she starts complaining, he'll drop her. Etta, sitting on the porch steps and staring off past the camera, explains why she'll go with them:

"I'm 26, I'm single, and a school teacher, and that's the bottom of the pit."

I sat straight up and just started laughing..."Uh...."

I don't think it's the bottom of the pit, but, frankly, I wish I was on my way to Bolivia.

4 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

So funny...and totally not the bottom of the pit!

Liz said...

Hey! I remember having a good laugh at that line when I watched it a few years ago too!

Kelli said...

That is hilarious. Did your students catch the irony?

courtney said...

i miss you. hmmph!