Thursday, May 29, 2008

Custer, Custard, Big Horn, Bull Run Revisited

Guys! Or, rather, girls! So impressed I am by everyone's guesses on our little Cranium drawing! You're all right, in one way or another. The first guess was Megan, who suggested Buffalo Bill - not the answer - but then she threw in Sitting Bull, who is definitely connected. He was at a battle in which this historical figure fought, but not the particular battle I was trying to draw. Courtney simply suggested that I was "taunting" all of you, which may very well have been the case, while Teri pulled the Civil War (judging by the divided flag - which answers your question, Courtney) and the Battle of Bull Run "out of her butt," which is totally on the right track - definitely the battle I was aiming for. So the next thing to figure out is who exactly fought in it on the American, not the Indian, side....Emily got REAL close when she threw in "Custard's Last Stand" (and by close, we're talking just a few letters away...) and the Battle of Little Big Horn (which is the battle that Sitting Bull was in and which later became known as the infamous "Last Stand"). Tina concorded, but the prize goes to.....MELISSA, who I am very pleased to find out knew this because she used to teach elementary school - now would be the appropriate time to get started on a very long tangent about how elementary school students are getting shafted in their American History education, but I will refrain.
Melissa said that the first thing that came to mind was the Battle of Bull Run, which is correct. The drawing has a bull, complete with nose ring, and a river/"run", as well as a flag cut in half to suggest the Civil War, during which this particular battle took place. She then suggested Custer and the Battle of Little Big Horn (which is where we find Sitting Bull and Custer's Last Stand, where he and his men shot their horses to use them as barricades but were overcome by the Indians and all killed), but noted that these two events were not related. Technically, they are not related in terms of what war they occurred in (Civil War vs. the Indian Wars), but they are most definitely connected because GEORGE ARMSTRONG CUSTER played a major role in both of them. He's the one on the horse.
Good work, ladies. Meliss, your prize is....let me think...world-renowned fame and recognition.
Let's do this again sometime.

4 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

dear heavens..if I had drawn that name in that game I would have had to take a PASS! You have way too many brain cells...Thanks for letting us play...I am looking forward to another game!

Megs said...

Um...I think I belong in remedial US History. None of that makes sense to me! Fun stuff!

Tina said...

Thanks for the clarification and education!

Melissa said...

Yay! I won!