Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Me and the Bee

Was it any surprise that your favorite 9th grade English teacher won the 3rd Annual Oakland-Berkeley University Ward Spelling Bee? Actually...yes, it was.

Here are the words that carried me to fame and glory:

Round 1: terrazzo (spelling this correctly was a direct result of my entertaining myself during my commute by listening to Italian CDs. That's right, I'm learning Italian. "I ragazzi sono pazzi." Translation: The young men are crazy.)
Round 2: deltiography (this one was purely phonetic)
Round 3: cuneiform (I actually knew this one.)

Really, the final round took about 14 tries before either of us finally spelled a word right...thus proving that I am not yet a master speller. However, winning this bee is still my life's crowning achievement thus far. I am now ready to abandon all social ties, move to a cabin in the woods, and live in complete isolation. Ok, obviously that's a lie, but wouldn't it be great to have a cabin in the woods? I wonder how many years it'll take me to rig up one of those....

1 comment:

Megs said...

Nice job Akeelah. I always knew you'd amount to something!