Friday, August 23, 2013

I thought summer was over, but....

To the contrary.

Burke is moving to South Africa for 9 months. Something about doing pediatric surgery there and helping children yadda yadda yadda. This both pleases and depresses me.

I flew out to see him last weekend. For the day. The pros and cons of flying standby mean that sometimes you get on the plane, and sometimes you don't. This time it just took a little longer to get there, so I flew to Sacramento in the morning, and then flew back to Salt Lake that night. Totally worth it.

After eating unlimited free taffy samples at a candy store in Old Sac, we went to the California State Railroad Museum. I didn't think I cared much in particular for trains, but as it turns out, friends, I absolutely do. I wish that I had been around in January 1944 so I could get the Table d'Hote dinner on a train for $1.75. It was all just very romantic.

We drove to Berkeley and hung out there for a bit. Talk about Memory Lane. Drove past Vacaville (Go Bulldogs), made the long commute to Berkeley (I can't believe I did that every day), saw my old place, and went to Gypsy's for a giant chicken pesto calzone. I missed them. We met up with Haruka, Burke's girlfriend, and she and I made the mistake of asking to use the bathroom. We were led through a chain-link gate down a dark hallway with stinky dumpsters inside and a giant barrel filled with nasty water with a dead fish (we think) floating at the top. It reeked and was fairly sketchy. But the calzone was awesome, as usual.

I didn't take any photos of me and Burke, just the places that we ate at. ???


 Wait. There was this one. To remember him by.

1 comment:

Megs said...

That calzone looks delicious.