Friday, September 7, 2012

2012: Not the Year of the Blog

Clearly. But I swear, there are many posts to come. Soon.

But quickly, a brief update:

I did actually get married. Ralph is great and I am great so together we are great. There are fun wedding/honeymoon stories and pictures on their way, but they take more time, and technically, since I am illegally blogging during the work day, I don't have my pictures on me at this particular moment. Oh wait, here's one I found on Facebook (thank you, Kristin):

Delightful, no?

The summer was composed mostly of pre-wedding, wedding, and post-wedding hoohah. The post-wedding stuff involved mostly me standing in the middle of wall-high stacked boxes of wedding presents and sorting through them from morning to midnight for one solid week, and then the next week was spent driving from store to store returning, exchanging, and buying things, and then the few days were spent changing my name (painful), and then work started. Four days early. I was not a happy camper - mostly because we haven't been camping yet (distressing, I know).

BUT with the beginning of a new school year comes funny and/or disheartening teenager stories....and this is my favorite so far:

A boy and his mom walk into my office to get a schedule for school. Boy tells me he is 16, a junior, and will turn 17 in November. I look him up on the computer to get started. Computer tells me, no no, he is 15. Born in 1996. I check with Boy. I check with Mom. I check with Birth Certificate. All agree, yes, he was born in November 1996.

Me: "I know this will sound like a dumb question,...but are you sure you're 16? Because the computer is telling me you're 15."

Boy and Mom insist that Boy is 16.

I had already done the math in my head and knew he was 15....but it's a little awkward telling a grown woman that she doesn't know how old her son is...and a little sad telling a teenage boy that he's a year younger than he thinks.

But indeed, the Boy was 15. The only way I could convince them was doing the math on my fingers outloud - "1997, 1998, 1999......2012. You turn 16 in November."

(blank stares coming back at me)

"You're 15."

Mom: "Whaaaaa?????" (shocked face, hand flies up to cover her mouth)

(Boy stares in dismay at the floor with his jaw dropped.)

Me: (trying not to make a big deal out of this...) "Ok, well let's get you that schedule..."

True story.

9 comments:

Megs said...

Oh, thank you. I SO needed to laugh today. I'm so curious as to how long he's been unaware of his real age...

j said...

What?? Yeah, was he even in the right grade? Did he have a drivers license?

Sharalea said...

I just fell OUT OF MY CHAIR laughing. What a great story. SERIOUSLY. Wow.

ALSO, welcome back to bloggerdom (I'm scheduling my come back SOON), this year has been crazy!!

Congratulations on your summer of fabulousness--you look amazing, happy, and Ralph is one lucky guy. Welcome to the new school year!

See Mack Snow said...

I didn't ask how long they've been wrong...didn't want to rub salt in the wound. But technically he completed 9th and 10th grade already, so he's a junior this year...but extremely young for that grade. And he didn't have a driver's license. Good thing. :)

L said...

It was probably less painful to have you tell him than the folks at the DMV, so consider it a good deed! But yeah, awkward.

Congrats on the wedding! Your dress is just lovely! Very you. :)

Wedding presents sound painful. There is very little that I dislike as much as running from store to store.

Mama Thompson said...

Wow...I love you and your blog and your stories and how you tell them and if you go this long again without posting I will disown you as my cousin...which will be kind of hard to do now that you "really are a Jones" :)

Miss Kris said...

Yay! Welcome back! Glad you're enjoying married life (minus the name-change headache)!

Were they perhaps from Korea? I think I remember Jay saying something about how Koreans start you off at age 1 right when you're born because it is your first year of life. Or maybe I'm misremembering and making it all up :)

Austin said...

Previous math teachers = fail!

Tina said...

OH my goodness, I am laughing and crying all at once! I am sadly laughing? I don't know what all I am feeling about this story, but laughing seems to be the dominant reaction.

And yes please on stories from your summer! :O)