Sunday, September 27, 2009

Long Time No Blog

...well, for me, anyways.

So here's a couple things from lately -

1. Salt Lake Greek Festival.

I was entirely unaware that Salt Lake has a significant Greek population. I'm pretty sure I saw all of them a couple weekends ago, and let me tell you, there' s a lot of Greeks around. And HALLELUJAH for that. I had the best gyro ever made (um, really, it was maybe one of the Top 10 things I've ever eaten. And it wasn't just because I was hungry. Although sometimes those things do make the Top 10.) and this cookie that made me choke all up on the powdered sugar. But it was delicious.

And then there was dancing. Lots of dancing.




Then I went and hung out in the Greek Orthodox Church downtown. Can I just tell you how much I love Catholic/Greek Orthodox churches? They're so inspiring to me, just thinking of the faith of all the people who have been there....Sometimes I crave to just go and sit inside them....and think....and look around....so sometimes I do. This is probably a result of being in so many Portuguese cathedrals. Now they just remind me of happy times.

So the Greeks baptize by immersion (good job, Greeks) - 3 times, actually (for the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost). And they do it in this really great baptismal font (look familiar?)...I think that urn-looking thing is for baptizing the babies.


I thought these "icons" were beautiful. The explanation of the one on the left, "The Nativity," said that down on the bottom left corner is Joseph, who is sad and troubled because he's not the father of the child, and the devil (in the form of an old man) is tempting him and telling him a virgin birth is impossible...


2. St. George - Scott was in town, so we drove down to see Grandma and Grandpa Jones. It was a blast. After visiting Grandpa in the care center, we went and checked out the site of Erastus Snow's "Big House," and I took a quick pic with Brother Brigham. Then we spent the rest of the day watching the Huskies, the Cougars, and the Mariners. For any of you who understand my feelings about football (note: I do understand that Mariners are not a football team. I'm referring more to the first two.), this will seem unusual. I pretty much just sat there and knitted #4. But OHHHH I celebrated when the Huskies beat USC. That was a great moment for us (well, them).




3. Immediately after celebrating Foot's progress via blog, things quickly went downhill and it's not doing so great anymore and is sort of interfering with work/school. Details would be boring, so I just wanted to ask you to keep Foot in your prayers. I kind of really need them.

4. Grandma taught me how to knit. I made this scarf (see #3). So it's a little curled, big deal. Don't judge. And see those 4 stripes at the ends? 3 of them were accidental.

5 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

Goodness...I just don't even know what to say...I will just sit and giggle a little! PLEASE let me know if I can do anything for you...take you somewhere...bring you something...don't be afraid to call me (even if I am scary:)

Kelli said...

Brother Brigham is looking smallish lately. I´m glad you made it to the greek festival, and I am sorry Foot is giving you trouble. I am sitting here thinking about Foot, as though he is his own persona (and male, apparently), and he just makes me so mad. Have other foot give him a talking to, would you?

love you.

Megs said...

I'm sorry about Foot. I really hope it gets better. But yay for your knitting! Love it.

my name is amy said...

i love your scarf. i mean it, i do. i hope you wear it when you come to visit.

Miss Kris said...

We missed you two weekends ago! It would have been so fun to have you here, but I understand that pesky things like work and school get in the way :)

I am so sorry to hear about your foot taking a turn for the worse, and we'll be sure to keep you and Foot in our prayers.