Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I read about serial killers. In case you didn't think I was "that type."

I have taken up reading at stoplights. It keeps me from getting bored in traffic, and unfortunately it's often the only time I can squeeze it in.

A couple weekends ago, on my way to the grocery store, I was stuck on San Pablo in traffic, so I pulled out my current read, The Devil in the White City, a true crime novel that juxtaposes the building of Chicago's World Fair with the mass murders of America's first serial killer.

As I sat reading at the light, the guy in the car next to me rolled down his window and asked me "if it was good." I enthusiastically launched into a summary of the basic premise of the book and how I thought it was really fascinating.

After a minute or so, he goes, "Huh. You don't strike me as the type to..."

He paused....

And the light turned green. Suddenly feeling awkward, I shouted, "It's really good! You should read it!" and took off.

Aside from wondering what exactly he was basing his hastily-made judgment on, this brief encounter has left me with a burning question: "Not the type to what??" Read at stoplights? Read about serial killers? Read??

The world may never know.

..

7 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

It's about time you blog again. PS...I couldn't get past the building of the world's fair...so I gave up and returned my book to a lover of the book. She keeps telling me to try again because it is soooo good when you get past all that building stuff...don't have time for that...I'll just keep to my "little people at the zoo".
love you...and seriously, glad you are back!

Marcus said...

Oooooh. He liked you but didn't know how to say it. And although this is very off topic the word verification for this post is potti.

Tina said...

What an odd, but entertaining scenario!

Megs said...

He was just surprised that you had a fascinating mind to go with that pretty face. What a pig. So, was he hot?

courtney said...

i hate tootsie pops, but i looooove that commercial.

alisa said...

oh my gosh! loved the book...couldn't put it down. when's book club?

Emi Sue said...

Not the type to talk to strangers! DUDE! You are livin in cali now you have got to be on your guard. Can't lie, loved every minutes of this entry and I was literally laughing out loud! Ah, good times